Many brides (and I say brides because let’s face it guys, the bride’s usually have the final say when it comes to making wedding decisions) opt to have live musicians play during the ceremony. While this is a great added touch, it can often add a significant expense to your overall music budget. If you have your heart set on having live music played during your ceremony, here are some ways to save money and still be happy with the outcome.
1) Instead of using a string section, find out if the band has a keyboardist that can play string patches on his keyboard. While it may not be as visually pleasing, many of todays string samples sound incredibly realistic.
2) See if the band’s guitarist will play acoustic guitar and have the band’s vocalist accompany him.
3) Find out if anyone in the band plays another instrument, such as violin or cello. This will remove the need to bring an outside musician just for the ceremony.
Until next time, happy wedding planning!
Square One recently performed at a wedding where the groom asked for specific “no so well know” songs/artists to be played during the reception. The results were what we expected. While the groom and a few members of the wedding party enjoyed the songs, the majority of the guests did not. They stayed off the dance floor, had some strange looks for the band, and all-in-all, seemed apathetic to any type of celebratory mood.
After a brief band huddle between sets, the band decided to start the second set with what we knew would work. Sure enough, the guests’ moods quickly turned from reserved to raucaus, and the groom was very happy to see that his wedding night would be remembered as a great evening of fun!
Point being, a wedding is about having FUN. So, although there may be songs or artists that you are really fond of, those same songs or artists might not be exactly what is needed to create an exciting party-like atmosphere for your guests. “Standard wedding songs” are usually standard for a reason; people like to hear them!
Thanks for listening!
The Square One Band often has the privilege of playing wedding receptions in the Asheville, North Carolina area. As there are many locations to choose from when planning your event, I thought this link might be helpful in making your choice for the perfect wedding location. It includes all the top spots for wedding events, some of which we have had the pleasure of performing at; hope it helps!
I recently came across this article on the Internet which discusses things to consider when choosing entertainment (in the form of live music) for a wedding. Some great tips to consider:
- Choose a versatile band that can provide lighter music for earlier in the evening and more lively music for dancing later in the evening.
- Most weddings guests have a varied age range. So the band should have a diverse repertoire. Ideally they might incorporate songs from the 60s and 70s for older guests and more current songs for the younger guests.
- Make sure that the band you choose has good references and plenty of experience.
- To find a good band to play at your wedding, ask for suggestions from friends and family. A good entertainment agency will have a variety of bands to recomnend for your wedding. Wedding planners may also have preferred bands that they work.
Hopefully these tips will give you some helpful information while looking for a band for this most important event. If you have any questions about all the services that the Square One Band can offer to help make your event as special as possible, don’t hesitate to ask by dropping us an email!